Monday 26 May 2014

18. May 2014; LVRC NATIONAL ROADRACE CHAMPIONSHIPS, cat A (40-44), HAMPSHIRE, 11.Place

This was the LVRC equivalent of the BCF master championship, same riders take part in both, except that BCF excludes all non-UK citizens. LVRC permit them to take part. 
Nice rolling course with 3 good lumps, giving many of us quite some troubles on the 5 laps (a10mi). There was an early (too early for me) breakaway that stuck to the end and then the usual stop and go attacks after attacks in the peloton, with 2 laps to go we got probably a 20 strong through and off for about 10km and it looked like we could get closer to the breakaway who had on average 60-90 sec. But the unity broke and the attacking game went on. I put my eggs into 3 serious attempts in the last 20k, but when I got caught after one of them, with a lap to go couldn't go with the counter attack of another 2 riders, one of them the later winner Ian Knight. At least on the penultimate climb I attacked to break up the remaining field, and with the 5 up the road we came in as a second group of 10 or so. The final 200m my legs completely broke again, similar to what happened at Bletchingley a couple of weeks ago, could not sprint at all any more and only got in 6th of that group and 11th overall. During the race I had 3 occasions where my garmin started beeping like mad and displayed "your are above you HR max" and I couldnt believe to see 103%. Analysing the data later it turned out that I had spent a cumulative 49% of the race in Z5 and above, 19% in Z7.