Monday 30 June 2014

Sat 28.Jun, Portsmouth North East 2/3 RR , Owlesbury, 95km, 1,850m Alt

From the start a group of two or three went up the road, to be followed by another 5 or so later on. After approx half race Will soloed away, followed by a later companion. By that point I started to get involved at the front of the field, trying to disturb the surges that threatened to become chases. Cam who is riding for LMNH come along to ask me if  Will was up the road and I said  "Yes, why t f do you think I am slowing things down...?" It s kind off a weird situation to try sabotage chases with one man on his way to the front made of 8-10 riders in total. The remaining laps went like that, attacks, chases, pull backs, conterattacks, with one lap to go another two tried there luck and it didnt look promising. I was thinking to bridge but hey, there was no way it would stick. The  usual hesitation as the gap expanded, then I had enough of that and had a go myself, that must have broken the remaining field apart as we where then a group of 8, but again only 4-5 doing the work, 3 just hanging at the back. It took me a while to understand that the guys where not doing tactical games, they were just simply on their limits...On the final 2K I went off that group on my own, just to be joined by one fellow to have a bit of a final with at the end. We did do a full out sprint, for place 16 as it later turned out, the two guys ahead of us which we failed to catch got in on 14 and 15th place. So I just missed the points on 16th place - but at least I felt totally smashed up, I gave it all I had.