Sunday 8 February 2015

Imperial Winter Series, Hillingdon, cat 2/3, 1h+5laps (50km), criterium.

Following the tribute to Akis event I had originally planned to get back home. A group of Dynamos around Tom, our eventual winner of the whole series, discussed race tactics and were running short of man count, in other words I got persuaded to sign up to the race. I had not done any fast circuit racing (crit) since 2013 and didn't expect much except to get shelled. Maybe I could chase down the one or other breakaway and then retire, that was the idea. Just some work I should be able to do to help. Throughout the race I felt surprisingly fresh and even bridged over to a break and stayed away for 2 laps and a bit. It all got down to bunch sprint with me taking 10th place overall but 3rd place amongst cat3 riders, as this race consisted of a cat2 and a cat3 races run in parallel but with separate point awards. Happy start into the new season.