Thursday 27 October 2016

A message to the London Dynamo National Squad, from their departing DS

A message from your departing DS

Dear NatB Squad,

I announced at our end of year meeting, a few weeks ago, that I would be stepping down by the end of this season, by the time of our LD awards night the very latest. As we have been able to find you more than adequate replacement for your departing DS, it is now time to take my hat. The troika of Giles, James and Gavin are not just going to replace me, they will bring NatB at London Dynamo yet to another elevated level of excellence. I wanted to write to thank you for the support you have given our NatB initiative during my year as DS.

Since its inception in 2015 the number of riders who have been selected for the team has increased to 14 and is yet to rise again in 2017. Your active engagement and persistent racing over the year means we now speak with a much louder voice within the wider club.

In my time with the London Dynamos, 4 1/2  years in total, I have been extremely privileged and proud to be a part of one of the most amazing initiatives our club has produced, as part of the selected squad to start with and this year as DS, working with some old hares and young rabbits alike. From today, I will just simply be a fan of you, may ask you for autographs for my grandchildren some time in the future and look back with deep satisfaction to “those days”, in 2016…

Having done my turn on the front, I’ll now be happy to drop back into the bunch but I’ll still be one of you, an ex-National B Squad member and I’ll still be a member of London Dynamo, volunteering and doing my bit for the sport I love. I’ll begin to race Masters races more regularly and a few Surrey League races with the 3s and maybe have another go at the  German Masters RR champs next year but foremost and that’s the main reason for my departure have my son have a substantial part of his dad back as otherwise there won’t be many years left before he leaves me.

Best wishes

Riko
(with special thanks to Ian Drake)