Sunday 11 June 2023

2023_Raceday #5: Neuötting Oberbayerische Bezirksmeisterschaft (DNF due to asthma attack)

As the reigning regional champion 2022 I had to defend my title and my legs actually felt quite good, too. But it came totally different. Up the main rise on lap TWO OUT OF 12 I had to go deep to stay in contact to the front, glancing at my Wahoo I was at nearly 800w for what had felt like an eternity when my respiration couldn't cope anymore. 

That was very close to an asthma attack, similar to what I had encountered in Kraftisried two years ago, in similar conditions, super hot and dry day, high grass pollen content in the air and a warning in place for allergics to refrain from any vicious exercise. 

I had to stop the race, as my breathing did not normalize, instead, it was getting into a panic stage, with exhaled air being trapped in the way of inhaled air. It took about 5mins by the roadside until I was feeling safe again, to drag myself to the car. Post-race analysis of recorded data revealed that my heart rate was still about 10 bpm below max. when the asthma signs became threatening. I would have expected this to kick in closer to HR max, something I should get checked by my physician.

Add private notes