Sunday 9 July 2023

2023_Raceday#8: Ötztaler Radmarathon

My second time at this event. Perfect run from the start to midrace at Sterzing, lots of PRs, and managed to get from a hopeless start position to the very front of the 2nd Block. Kühtai went very well, with a new PR, and on the descent, a good group got together all the way up Brenner Pass. By that time the day had become scorchingly hot. Up to Brenner, I got on with two bottles. Then massive cramping set in, even of muscles I didn't know I even had, even my finger muscles started cramping. The reason was probably a combination of two things, the hot weather and consequentially lot of sweating whilst consuming the wrong drinks, too much Carbs and too little minerals. Up Jaufen was, like last year, just all about pain/cramp management. From there on I stopped at every feeding station for iso drinks and water, as my body had begun to reject carbs completely, I was suffering from stomach cramps. Up Timmels was then a total ordeal, overheated, cramping, upper two gears not working, so I was just fighting for survival and not getting into any of the numerous broom wagons. "I have a dream'-" or so says the ÖRM promotional motto, for me it had turned into a "nightmare", after half race. Still, the final official time was 2mins faster than last year's, age group placing 62nd (out of 1200 starters 50-60 years) and overall 596th out of 4100 Starters. I think overall this was the most demanding event I have ever done. Legs will probably take a month for a full recovery. I have done it twice now and I think I have had it with this ordeal.