Sunday 26 April 2015

Thames Velo Road Race, 26.April, 2015, National B, Elite, cat1/2/3, 120km

After a sheit week at the office, 70+hours and 4 late night (so god help me to find a new job...), on a hired Trek bike, with Di2 electronic shifting which I have never used before, and with a broken gaffa taped right shoe I went into this, already mentally tired before the race. The legs felt ok, respiration fine, generally form seemed to be there.
Massive speed from the start, a group of 9 or so went off the front and we never saw them again. I waited for the 100km mark to come and see whats left, had a good chance with another 3 guys when we broke away, had about 300m but the field had other ideas and our journey was finished after 5km out in the wind, riding at the limit. I was cooked. A counterattack happened right when we were caught and nobody else chased after them, so another 5-7 riders slipped off the front but I was convinced they would be brought back by others, like I was. But no, they stayed away, too. I got 4th in the sprint of the field, just behind Tony Gibb, but not enough to get into the points. Generally the race was switching from super fast to super slow alternating again and again, with quite a bit of negative racing going on. None of my 3 serious attempts to get away lasted for longer than 2-5 km. Still after the race I felt positive and happy that I did it, under the given circumstances quite an adventure.
final sprint, 2nd from left, not sure who the ONE PRO rider was next to me..