Sunday 10 May 2015

Bec CC Roadrace, 10.May, 2015 National B, Elite, cat1/2/3, 115km

First outing for me with the London Dynamo  Nat B Race Team.
My job was to be race captain and wingman of Stuart and make sure he gets into position, particular towards the business end.
The course was 10laps on the Ladies Mile Circuit and 5 laps on the finishing circuit including a 1.5km hill of which the first 300m were a 22% ramp, followed by shallower sections and another 2 ramps, a biest of a climb. My legs felt better than during the entire week, but every time we went up the drag on the Ladies Mile circuit I went into the red, i.e above 97% HRmax, with considerable time spent at and above (!) 100%. It wasn't a surprise that I got in trouble right the first time we went up "the biest", but so did most other riders, too. The whole field splintered and in the following small groups started forming, some of them merging others splintering again at the climb next lap. I felt getting better on the climb in lap 4 and 5, legs were in tatters and hr in the red, but maybe the fact that riders around me tired even more, made me feel relatively stronger than during  the earlier laps. I ended on 33rd place riding with a Craig Mc Lean of Sigma Nuun rider for the last kilometer. Happy I did the race, despite the result but after all these races I hope will help me to get stronger.Astonishing half the field didn't finish the race.