Sunday 30 August 2015

Surrey League, Seale circuit, Road Race, 6thPlace

Having just returned from Germany from a week long cycling in old home territory.  After this weeks quantitiy of riding, with 400TSS yesterday, not the most evident thing to consider racing the day after. Additionally, returning home from Germany past midnight, rebuilding the bike and getting to sleep only at 1:30 a.m. wasnt any good either.So here we go, all excuses upfront.

As expected my legs felt pretty rubbish from the start, with heartrate at 85% I was already breathing heavily and my legs were screaming to go back home and lie on the sofa...

3 laps before the end I was close to giving up, with 5-7 riders up the road no hope to win. I just couldnt do anything about the breakaways, hanging on for dear life instead. With an uphill sprint finish, usually my speciality, i was sure I would not be able to contest and went into the final bent 10th wheel, just to be safe from crashes. I did follow this until we hit the rise to the finish and just gave it a go. To my surprise i flew past the whole lot and won the bunch, for 6th overall, but honestly pretty empty.