Sunday 6 September 2015

Surrey League Roadrace cat 2/3; Barcombe Circuit, 120km; 11th place.

First time for me on this course, quite demanding undulating and with an uphill sprint, which I usually like. This one had a curve 100m before the finish though and I defnitely dont like that.
It was an active race, many attempted breakaways, all got caught back. I had been away myself, on one occasion bridged over to a 2-up breakaway but was unlucky with the 2 guys. Another time I took off by myself and was joined by 4 riders, it looked ok but also got pulled back, it came down to an uphill bunch sprint. I was in excellent position at the beginning of the sprint (4th wheel) but didnt have the power to maintain it as some others overrolled my on the final 50m and only held on to 11th place. Nevertheless this still brought valuable points and I was pleased with my engagement in forming the race.